Thursday, October 23, 2008

This and That!

There are a lot of little things that come up in the week that makes it difficult to put everything in a blog, and still make sense, so I will just share some snip-its for today.

Halloween is coming soon, as everyone knows, and Sydnie has finally decided on a costume. Last week the waffling ended and she decided to be.....( and the drum roll please)....a clown. It actually fits her as she is developing a sense of humor and telling jokes ALL the time. She also told me, "Mom, since you are an expert knitter, you can make it for me." I tried to explain the difference in knitting and sewing, but she didn't quite grab it, so I surrendered that teaching moment and just agreed to try to make it. She picked out the colors and fabrics. What a crazy, colorful clown she will be...if I am successful. I'll post the finished product, if it is wearable. If you don't see it, you'll know it went away, never to be seen by human eyes.


We voted Tuesday, another wonderful teaching moment. I explained the process and what she would see and how votes were cast, all that good information in a way that would make sense to a 4-year-old. She was not too sure about it all, but she was very attuned to happenings around her, even pointing out that I could not take my cell phone in with me. It actually just had to be turned off, but she was "reading" all the signs as we were waiting in line. After we finished, she asked if "your person won?" Oh, how I wish it was that easy!
Tuesday on the way to preschool, Sydnie and I were talking and she started asking me about school: school past preschool. As we chatted she asked me about college and I explained I went to college to learn how to teach. This is a little bit of the conversation:
"What did Daddy do ( in college)"?
"He learned about communications and social work."
A puzzled stare..."So he didn't go to class"?
"Yes he did, just different classes to learn different things."
"I don't want to be a teacher. I'll have to think about what I want to be."
"You don't have to be a teacher, you have many choices." And I named several. And then a few more. Finally, she decided she wanted to be a painter.
"I'll be a painter! I like to paint." I mentioned a few other things, I don't know why.
"No, I'm going to be a painter, just a painter!"
OK with me. a future artist :)




No comments: